Addictions and Cravings
There is nothing wrong with normal stress. In fact, stress itself in everyday living is actually healthy for it stimulates the organism. It is false utopia to seek a life without stress. However, unresolved stress is another whole matter; it is a death-knoll. The perpetuating nature of unresolved stress adds to the stress because whole systems are put on hold. It is important to understand how and why this happens. In order to break such a cycle, the emotional stress or factors that may have placed someone into this downward spiral do need to be faced and resolved. Just as fundamental is the nutrient repletion, especially brain proteins, and this is done through detoxification and the rebuilding of digestion.
Stress of perceived danger puts the system into "fight or flight", raising sugar levels for a temporary emergency. Nutrients in the system are shunted to brain and muscles. Stress basically speeds up the metabolism to save the organism, during which time, it does not detox, feed, nor heal. Biologically, stress should last for a moment while the organism saves itself. It is obviously better to save the organism from the immediate dangers because later at rest it will go into the parasympathetic mode when it can feed the cells and heal itself. Stress somehow also inactivates the insulin (insulin insensitivity/Syndrome X) lest it reduce the sugar levels before the perceived stress is over. Why "waste energy" on digestion under "fight or flight" conditions when the quick energy producing sugar and alcohol, or drug for the rush, all can be absorbed without digestion. A system being starved needs energy now and many go into a survival mode.
When stress moments become hours, days, weeks, months and maybe even years, digestion, detoxification and healing on the cellular level never properly kick back in. Wellbeing that comes from healing will give way to cravings. With reserves gone, add in cellular destruction (wasting) because of scavenging for nutrients. A poorly functioning and frantic addictive immediacy becomes the dominant state. Perceived danger obviously isn't immediately passing as this organism-saver was designed for. With the stressed system so locked up, even good food basically rots in the system. Why even eat? With low reserves and wasting, toxic accumulation challenging the organs of elimination such as the lymphatics, liver and kidneys, the cravings are real. Mental faculties in a toxic residue become limited to basic survival and the only things that can raise a temporary sense of well being are the abuse substances. How is digestion regained?
Learning how to accept stress and then quickly de-stress may be the secret to health. Several easy techniques from a variety of good self help books include not dwelling on problems and the feelings they emanate but on solutions and the daylight at the end of the tunnel. Accepting victimhood is a direct blocking of life energy. Looking for the good, valuing the experience carries the assumption that life is bigger than any one usually perceives. This breaks the isolated inner suffocation of life energies. A positive attitude activates bio-physiology just as prolonged stress blocks it. Faith, hope and love are not waxing philosophics but obvious fundamentals in any approach. Where we focus our energies, our biology follows.
Where to start. Any good rehab program would also include a means of natural brain chemical balance enhancement, the elimination of all junk food and drink, the reestablishment of digestion, the support and clearing of the organs of elimination in a metabolic detox, a good diet and food supplements, good water and exercise. Counseling would also include awareness of the direct influence of our instinctive higher nature on our bodies in contrast to the nature of prolonged stress and what it does to the system. Don't be afraid to check out the Twelve Steps that Alcoholic Anonymous (AA) uses. These are real and very well put together for anyone overwhelmed whether they have ever touched a drop of alcohol or not.
The carbohydrate addicted brain is protein starved. The amino-stocked brain is addiction resistant. According to Julia Ross in her 2001 The Diet Cure, four basic brain chemicals that help control the appetite and mood are dopamine, endorphins, GABA and serotonin, all more effective taken on an empty stomach.
· When low in dopamine (our natural caffeine) and symptoms of depression, lack of energy, drive, focus and concentration, consider L-Tyrosine (500 mg) at 1-3 early AM and mid-afternoon.
· When low in endorphin (our natural morphine) and symptoms of being very sensitive to emotional or physical pain, crying easily, craving comfort, reward or numbing treats, "loving" certain foods or drugs, consider DL-Phenylalanine (600 mg) at 1-3 early AM and mid morning.
· When low in GABA (our natural Valium) and symptoms of stiff and tense muscles, being stressed and burned out, and/or unable to relax or loosen up, consider Ultra GABA 500 as needed, day or evening.
· When low in Serotonin (our natural Prozac) there are possibilities of many symptoms. These include negativity, depression, worry, anxiety, low self esteem, obsessive thoughts/behaviors, winter blues, irritability, rage, fear of heights/water and other phobias, dislike of hot weather, afternoon or evening cravings, fibromyalgia, TMJ, being a night-owl, hard to get to sleep, insomnia, disturbed sleep, suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. Consider 5-HTP (50 mg) at 1-3 mid afternoon and evening.
· L-Glutamine (500 mg) tends to benefit all four areas by preventing low blood sugar in the brain.
If there is any adverse effect to aminos, they leave the body within 1-4 hours. No permanent harm will be done. If sensitivity is suspected, take the amino under the tongue and it will show in 15-30 minutes
Detoxification and digestive healing include the following from the Balancing Chemistry Doctors:
· For 3 to 7 days use Nutri-Clear 2-3 times a day along with Livotrit-Plus 1tablet 3 times a day and Beta TCP 2 tablets 3 times a day. After 3 to 7 days discontinue the Nutri-Clear but continue the Livotrit-Plus at 2 tablets 3 times a day and add the following supplements:
· Colon Plus Capsules at 5 capsules 3 times a day with meals.
· 21st Century Homeopathic #2/Lymphatic Drainage 1 capful daily.
· M.C.S. at I capsule twice daily with breakfast and lunch. Secondary supplemental support includes:
· Neonatal Multi-Gland at 3 tablets 3 times a day with meals.
· I.P.S. at 2 capsules 3 times a day with meals.
· GSH Plus at 1 capsule 3 times a day with meals.
The long term diet should contain protein 3 times a day. Amino Sport is an excellent amino acid supplementation. Include good fruits and vegetables. For a multi-vitamin daily consider PMT for good nutrient and electrical energy balance, BioProtect for broad-spectrum antioxidants and Biomega-3 or Flax Seed Oil or Mixed EFA's for essential fatty acid needs.
Be sure to check thyroid function and consider Thyrostim, GTA and Flax Seed Oil for hypofunction and Meda-Stim for T4 to T3 conversion, each at 2/3 times a day.